The Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives (GCNM) is a body corporate with perpetual succession established by the provisions of the SPECIALIST HEALTH TRAINING AND PLANT MEDICINE RESEARCH ACT 2011, PART THREE (ACT 833).
- Promote specialist education in nursing, midwifery and related disciplines
- Promote continuous professional development in nursing, midwifery and related disciplines
- Promote postgraduate nursing, midwifery and related disciplines for the College
- Contribute to the formulation of policies to improve health outcomes and public health generally.
The Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives is established to:
- Organise and supervise specialist training, continuous professional development and support postgraduate or post diploma research in nursing, midwifery and related disciplines
- Conduct and organise specialist examinations in nursing, midwifery and related disciplines
- Publish journals and pamphlets
- Award diplomas and certificates on completion of specialist training and confer professional distinctions
- Foster cooperation with other institutions with similar objectives
- Initiate and participate in actions and discussions aimed at improving health outcomes, and formulation of public health policies in collaboration with other relevant institutions
- Perform other functions that are ancillary to the objectives of the College